MENTALLY PREPARING OURSELVES FOR OVERCOMING ADDICTION
In this article, we will discuss the step by step process by which we can prepare ourselves to get rid of any addiction. This process consists of seven important steps. They will guide us on our journey to get rid of our addiction completely. Here are the seven steps:
1. First of all, we have to admit that we are powerless over our addiction, at this moment. On our own, we indeed are powerless. It’s better to accept this fact than resist it.
2. Next, we have to believe that there is something greater than us that can bring us back to sanity. It doesn’t have to be a belief in God. We can also believe in our higher destiny or our higher potential. It can also be a belief in the journey of transformation that will unleash our highest potential.
3. Next step is to surrender ourselves to that ideal. We have to become totally committed to our transformation. Once we have made such a commitment, it will be very natural for us to start all the transformational practices.
4. The fourth step is to take a moral inventory of ourselves and accept whatever mistakes that we have made in pursuing the addiction. There is great power in acceptance.
5. The fifth step is to forgive ourselves for our addictive nature and accept it as a natural part of our immaturity as we move towards our highest potential.
6. Next step is to ask others to forgive us for whatever harm that we have done to them because of our addiction as we continue to use practices like prayer and meditation to heal ourselves of our addiction.
7. We must pledge that once we are completely free of the addiction we have to make sure that we do not get into other addictions and help others to become free of their addictions as well.
Following these seven steps will help us get rid of our addictions. Let us prepare ourselves!
Watch for the next part of this series where we will teach specific techniques to overcome addiction.