HOW TO STAY PRODUCTIVE AND FOCUSED WHILE WORKING FROM HOME
As we all know COVID-19 has led many companies and organizations to make employees work from home. For a lot of people, working from home might be something new and can take a while to get used to.
Remember that the lockdown will end someday and we will have to go back to your jobs and studies. Make sure that you maintain the same reputation when you go back to your normal routine.
Some people, including me, just cannot function when we sit at home! Sitting at home can create anxiety, edginess and jitters. But considering the pandemic, one doesn’t have much of an option left. It’s the safe and right thing to do. It can be challenging at first, but we all have the capacity to adjust to such situations.
Sit down and relax. Working from home can be intimidating and sustaining the motivation to be productive even while at home can be difficult. The workspace which we are used to has helped us create a specific routine. Certain places in our offices give us cues to get our work going.
Forgetting our 7 am alarms, 8 am breakfast and 9 am exercise can be strenuous. But hang in there! Things are about to get better! If you think about it carefully, working from home can save lots of time and petrol as commuting goes down.
Here are some tips you can follow to stay productive during this lockdown period:
1. Start early: Starting your day early has a lot of benefits. I personally start my day early because I feel I have a lot more time in my hand and it helps me being more productive. Starting early will also help you maintain your regular routine. Simply finishing off your work in the morning will give you more time for yourself and other tasks.
2. Plan out your work: Making checklists and to-do lists can help you in a great way to progress. Put up a list on your soft board or on your phone/desktop so that you are aware of your deadlines. As you cross off your tasks one by one, you’ll be tempted to complete all of them. If you have clear targets, half the work is done.
3. Stick to a schedule: While working at home, it can be difficult to stick to a schedule. Make sure you make a schedule and try to stick to it. Working according to a schedule would help you make more progress in your work rather than doing your work at random timings.
4. Find a good location: In the office, we all have a specific place where we are the most productive. Try to find a similar place at home where you can concentrate on your work without any distractions.
5. Be consistent: After you make a routine for yourself at home, it’s important that you stick to it! Being consistent with your routine would ensure effective time-management and a productive state of mind. In time, this will become a habit in your life.
Remember, just being productive for just a day or two will get you nowhere. Also, once you return to office, your boss and colleagues would surely remember that you were (or weren’t) available for work consistently.
6. Be available for your co-workers: While you’re working at home, it becomes important that you’re available for your team members. Try to communicate with them through video conferencing or other means. Create a space of discussion between you and your co-workers so that it doesn’t seem that you’re working alone.
7. Submit your work on time: I am a big believer of submitting my work on time. When you work from home, it becomes all the more important to submit your work on time. Don’t take your work for granted. Working from home can sound like fun, but it is a big responsibility. Submitting your work on time will help your boss and co-workers know that you are actively working on your tasks.
Working from home can be fun, but work should always be the first priority. The world is going to change and only those who know how to work as per the needs of the time, will grow in their career.
I hope these tips would help you get through the lockdown period. Happy working!
How are you mananging your work from home?